Saturday, January 26

The Mission


Back in September, the 23rd to be exact - the day after my birthday, make note - Patti LaCarter, Missionary to Brazil, spoke to our Sunday morning Bible study class at HFBC. At the end of the description her work, she said, "If anyone is interested in coming to Brazil, we would love to have you." At that moment, Mr. Wonderful elbows me and says "You should go." Now, as a sanguine personality, I am always ready for any adventure (or party) and it's generally the aforementioned Mr. Wonderful's job to keep the Sanguine in check (read, responsible and grounded).

So, after hearing from the Voice of the Holy Spirit, I told Patti and her ministry cohort, Georgia Costa, I wanted to come. We exchanged emails and promised to get in touch. I reviewed the calendar for dates and confirmed January to be best. As the time came closer, Patti's parents and I met up for the trading of delivery goods and Georgia's new guitar that didn't make the last trip.

Patti and Georgia are Church Planters and two strong Christian women that are driven to share and educate. Still not sure exactly what I would be doing to help them, I did know it was fulfilling one of my lifelong dreams - A Mission Trip (also something on The List we will discuss later). I prayed and ask the Lord to help me be an encouragement to the members of the churches and to Patti and Georgia. That was my request over and over again since I knew I wasn't going to teach VBS, build a structure or administer health care like so many other mission trips others have taken. Then I realized the opportunity to share my love of scripture and deliver a verse in their own language of Portuguese. Yes, I had a mission. But installing scripture designs would take two hours max - what would I do the rest of the time? God will take care of it, I deemed.

With bag checked, backpack over the shoulder and Georgia's guitar case in hand, I walked through the airport like a Rockstar! Everyone knew I must be Someone traveling to Brazil with A guitar. (I've decided to buy a guitar case to carry with me on future airport jaunts and Rockstar dark glasses with fancy cowboy boots too, just for fun).  I do not play the guitar or any instrument, for that matter, but maybe it could make The List. I think I've just sent you on a tangent. Where were we?

Oh yes, Patti and Georgia guided and directed, drove and interpreted. They displayed such faith and trust in the Almighty that I was encouraged. We've said it over and over - He is faithful. Their own testimonies of how they got there, how churches were organized and the events leading up to their working together were miraculous. It was an opportunity for me to be blessed. And for me to share. . .

My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2:2,3

No comments: