Wednesday, January 23

The Rain


The Brazilians are baffled. It's Summer here, most everyone is on vacation and the weather is acting like Winter. Rain has been coming on and off (mostly on) for the last four days. Temperature is below 70'and do you really think I brought "Winter" clothes? No. I purposely left them in the closet of the house in Houston where it is Winter. Patti and Georgia had repeated, "Are you sure you want to come when it's so hot??" "I like the heat," I replied, hopefully. I was so bone cold the whole week before I left that I was repeatedly stopping for a soak in the warm tub with images of the sand, sun and surf all at my beck and call to warm my pale skin (I'm really mad at my left brain now - see previous blog).

But, the Lord is good and in control. With not much else to do in the rain, the Brazilians are coming to church. Yesterday, we drove three hours to Buzios, a delightful fishing village with beautiful beaches and cobblestone paths. In the evening we drove over to Cabo Frio where Comunidade Batista Oceanica has a second church, pastored by Hopson and Nudaby (husband and wife respectively). We visited with them over coffee and snacks before the service and then installed the second scripture I'd brought. Once again, I was completely and totally moved on how the Lord would bring me so far to do this, all the while a precocious seven year old boy played with the tape and vinyl scraps I was dropping below the ladder (you are going to get a kick out of the photos if I can ever figure this thing out!). The people started coming in and watching me. They all oohhed and awwed over the chocolate colored verse on the wall - "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."John 14:6.

During the service, Patti asked me to speak on how I've stayed faithful to being a Christian. It seems, the Brazilians like to try new things and hop around to churches regularly. I talked of truly devoting myself to the Lord when I was 16 and how I've been in the same church for 24 years. They couldn't believe it! They were enthralled with Adam's Crossrider ministry and wanted to know all about Motocross. Graca asked me to pray for her husband, Sondro, who is not a Christian and rides motocross. The Crossrider's Bible Study will be praying over him this evening in Houston.

Afterwards, we seperated into smaller groups to pray for one another. Patti, Nudaby, Saleen and I ended up together. I felt a pain in my heart for Saleen as I grabbed her hand. She said she was going through a difficult depression due to some financial issues (Patti interprets). After we prayed, I hugged her and began to pray over her in English - she was hugging so tight that she wouldn't let go. I haven't stopped thinking of her and know when she makes it on the otherside of this her own ministry will be all the stronger. Will you say a prayer for Saleen that the Lord would comfort her and give her wisdom? Thank you.

The photos then began of everyone under the scripture and with each other (you really are going to like them!). We left for dinner - it was early - only 10:00 pm. We got to walk down Rock Street in the rain in Buzios after that and Patti and I bought Board Shorts at the store, South, at 11:45 pm! These people are crazy! Thank You Lord for the rain. . .

I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. Philippians 4:12

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Pamela,

I am so proud of you! What a great job you are doing. It wasn't that long ago you and I were talking about your heart's desire to serve in this way. You were so good to continute to paitently, and faithfully wait on the Lord to provide what you prayed for. I can't wait to see what else happens on your journey. I pray that God will continue to use you in a mighty way. You have so much spiritual maturity, consistancy in faithfulness, and service. Much love is being sent to you.
Praying for you,
Kellie Guinn